Wednesday, August 29, 2012

mom's potato salad


My mom’s potato salad is legendary. I just whipped up a batch for our trip to the Lake. Can you tell this recipe has been used a few times? In case my little index card finally becomes illegible, and because it’s almost criminal not to share this recipe with the world, here’s the recipe. Best. Potato. Salad. Ever. 

Mom's Potato Salad
2 1/2 cups sliced, peeled, cooked potatoes (we usually double, triple or quadruple the potatoes and then adjust the rest of the recipe accordingly. I'm not good at doing math or fractions or I would have done that for you. Sorry.)

1 tsp sugar

1 tbsp pickle juice 

1/2 cup chopped onion (cut them big if people want to pick them out, small if they don't want to know they're there or use the dried stuff in you don't have fresh...it all works but don't leave it out!)

1/2 cup sliced celery (diced if you have lazy veggie eaters like me who will pick out the big stuff but not the small stuff)

1/4 chopped dill pickles (I think the cheap kind are better than the fancy Valassic stuff but either will work. If you get the sandwich slices, they're easier to cut. Or use one of those choppers from Pampered Chef. Shut up...I'm lazy.)

1 1/2 tsp celery seed

3/4 cup mayonnaisse (doesn't seem to matter if you use low fat, olive oil based, whatever...but I think less is more with this recipe. And it's not just calories, it tastes better with a little less.)

4 hard boiled eggs, sliced (I usually do more because I like hard boiled eggs)

2 tbsp Natures Seasoning (best spice EVER. If you haven't tried it, you should. We use it by the case.)

Salt and pepper to taste (I usually find that it's best to let it set for 4 - 8 hours stir it again and then taste and adjust. The flavors really develop over time and if you try to re-season too early you can quickly end up overdoing something.)

No comments:

Post a Comment