Tuesday, August 28, 2012

how does your garden grow?


Tagg and I started a gardening project in the spring, nurturing little seeds into tender green sprouts. It’s a bit of an experiment, and I’ve learned that I was not born with a green thumb. Thanks to my iPad and Google, however, the kids and I have managed to create quite the organic garden. Our tomatoes and zucchini are out of control. 

Sloane likes to eat them straight off the vine and has been known to lick spilled tomato juice right off the table. No sign of pumpkins yet, but Tagg’s corn is 6’ high and actually seems to be growing real ears of corn, which is hilarious considering we just threw the seeds in the dirt and wrote those off. Now we have corn. 
We’ve even managed to grow potatoes. I really did have to look that one up on the internet. I had absolutely no idea how potatoes grew!

How does one potato become many,
and then become potato salad? Good question!
Check out Potato2008 (a real live web site) for the answers.
I got a text message from Tagg’s baby daddy, Paulie, not long after we started our little gardening project. It’s a picture of his hand holding some cayenne peppers, and a lovely garden. He had seen my post and decided that he and his girlfriend would plant a garden too so it was like we were doing it together. Every time I pluck a tomato off the vine I think of him doing the same thing a thousand miles away. Pretty cute.

Things I’ve learned about gardening.
  • I like it. Nurturing little seeds into vibrant, robust plants and then harvesting your own fruits and vegetables is very satisfying.
  • It’s hard to garden organically. Snails, grasshoppers, whatever is eating those little holes in my Swiss Chard, the fact that my tomatoes are significantly smaller and ripening later than my dad’s MiracleGro tomatoes…these things all tempt me to run to Home Depot and buy some chemical corrector. I continue to resist! Trying eggshells and beer to get rid of the snails, ladybugs for the aphids, and patience for the rest.
For Sloane, tomato = apple.
  •  Kids really will eat fruits and vegetables if they grow them. Tagg, who’s been on a no-veggie kick lately, has eaten zucchini, tomatoes, peppers and yellow squash. I’m already planning next year’s garden with this in mind. And I have a hard time keeping Sloane from picking things right off the vines.
  • I have to learn how to bake, and fast. One zucchini equals about 1-2 cups of shredded zucchini. And I have about twenty zucchini. So far. Yikes. I’ve already made chocolate-zucchini muffins, cheesy herb zucchini bread, regular zucchini bread, zucchini tomato salad, lemon zucchini sauté salad, and grilled zucchini. Rumor has it you can shred and freeze it. I need to look into that. And if anyone needs a zucchini or ten, let me know.
  • Big, sneaky zucchini bastards
    with cute little maters.
  • Zucchini are sneaky bastards. You're supposed to harvest them when they're smallish and normal sized. But they hide. If you miss that window, look out. One day, BAM!! There's an enormous, gigantor zucchini in the garden. And the big ones are only apparently only good for baking. And phallic jokes. 







No comments:

Post a Comment