Friday, April 15, 2011

flashback: divine intervention

Last year, on January 15th (1 year and 3 months ago), I got a random, out of the blue email from a lady I worked with for about a minute. I was so impressed by her skills, not to mention her fashion sense and striking resemblance to Meg Ryan. When Harry Met Sally Meg Ryan. My favorite. 

Bear in mind that Scott and I had just started thinking about, kind of sort of noodling the idea of going for baby number two, getting back into the adoption process - assuming that we'd be super lucky to get a baby in a year or two. It's a huge, drama process and we had it pretty easy but it's lots of money, lots of stress and the kind of thing that becomes easy to put off because, let's face it, it's hard and it's scary.

I honestly don't even know how how "Meg" got my email address; it had changed since I left our company and I hadn't communicated with her for years. So in a 'you've got mail' moment in January I get this...

On 1/15/10 12:45 PM, "Meg" wrote:
Hi Lisa,
I hope you remember me...you interviewed and helped to select me at (the ad agency) ...remember? smile. It's been awhile and I'm no longer with (them) but I am hopeful to get your advice.

I am writing because I am curious if you might help me navigate the adoption process in Utah? My niece is unexpectedly expecting a baby girl (she is 4.5 months pregnant) and has made the hard decision to give her up for adoption. She doesn't know where to start and which agencies to work with and how to ensure a good family adopts her and etc. and I thought to email you for advice. IF you have time, please let me know your thoughts and I hope you and yours...especially your little boy!...are doing great in 2010!
Wow. Are you kidding me?! That's an email you don't expect to get in the middle of the day, out of the blue. I was floored. And had no idea exactly how floored to appear. Right?! I mean what do you say to someone who has just told you they have a pot of gold and don't know what to do with it? The following email response probably took two hours to craft. Easy.
It’s so funny that you sent that email! We are actually just starting the adoption process again, like seriously just starting to fill out all of the paperwork. So, of course, my first response is WE WANT HER! And, yes, I am serious! Okay so let me switch gears from selfish to helpful. ;-) So I obviously don’t know a ton about the adoption process from the birth mother’s side of things. We used Open Heart / Children’s Service Society and they were fabulous. Very small agency but we really liked our coordinator and that’s important. I would be happy to get her the contact information. I also have a couple of friends that just did direct placements – adopted a troubled relative’s child kind of thing – but I’m not sure how that works legally. I’ll put in a couple of calls over the weekend and see what I can find out about how it all works. Do you want me to call you? Or her? 
I have to tell you that we are really enjoying being parents! It’s so awesome and we feel so blessed to have this little guy in our life. Tagg is almost 1 1/2 and he’s the most amazing thing. We’re still in touch with his birth parents and their families and it’s such a special relationship. It’s so heart-warming to see them enjoying high school (oh, yes, they were young!) and succeeding in school and sports. They always send little gifts and email updates and we send them pictures and updates. I think it’s great that he’ll always know that they made the hardest decision ever because they loved him and wanted the best for him. Hopefully, we’re living up to the promises that we made to them to give him a great life and take care of him. We love him more than anything! Blubber, blubber...now I’m all teary eyed talking about it! Any way, I’m sure your niece is really struggling with the decision but hopefully she’ll understand what an amazing thing she’s doing and that she’ll have a similar experience. We’re happy to help in any way!
Alright! Enough! I’ll do my homework and touch base with you next week! Take care! Hope things are going well!
And four months later, we had our baby Sloane. Miracles can happen from an email.

No comments:

Post a Comment