Friday, February 17, 2012

going out, outnumbered

Going out when you are outnumbered by your children is a big deal. For me, anyway. Sometimes I see moms at the mall or a restaurant with 3, 4...6 children (yes, I live in Utah...SIX children to ONE mom) and I am shocked that they are capable of being out in public with that many kids. A one-to-one ratio works really well for me. Two-to-one is about my max.

And I was reminded of that tonight as I headed out solo (Scott was working) to meet some friends for dinner at the Porcupine.

I had about 30 minutes to get the kids changed into their going-out clothes and get to the restaurant. I started with Sloane. Changed clothes into new super-cute outfit. Changed diaper. Re-did hair into darling ponytails. Sent her off to play. Check. Feeling like Super Mom.

Now for Tagg. Changed clothes into new super-cute outfit. (well, gym pants and a hoodie because it's the end of the week and I need to do laundry. But he did look cute.) Re-did hair into cute spikey thing. Sent him off to play.  Check. Where is my cape?!

Re-stock diaper bag. Added in as many distraction, restaurant suitable toys and books as possible, bibs, diapers, wipes, shi-shi's (binkies), milk in sippy cups. Check. 5 minutes ahead of schedule. I RULE!

Start to put Sloane in car...sniff. sniff. NOOOOO!!!! Change diaper, again. While changing diaper, a messy situation that requires both hands at all times, she pulls out cute ponytails. Really?! Really? Finish diaper change, wash hands, re-dress in super cute outfit. Re-do hair AGAIN in cute ponytails. While re-doing Sloane's cute ponytails, Tagg squirts hairspray into his eye. Tears. Screams. Drama. Eye flushing. Sloane is emptying every drawer in the bathroom and putting lipstick on her shoes.

And, finally, 15 minutes late...we are off to dinner. My Super Mom status has been suspended, although nobody completely flipped out at dinner or threw food (although Tagg did kind of pants some guy at the next table) so I may be back in the running...as long as pants-guy doesn't talk.

And that, my friends, is why you never go out to a restaurant when you're outnumbered.

No comments:

Post a Comment