Monday, July 4, 2011

iv anyone?

I got an epic case of food poisoning on Friday night. Well technically it was about 4am Saturday and I puked my guts out for about 6 hours, laying on the cold tile floor in the bathroom between bouts of hurling. It was awful. I haven't felt that rotten or sick since we were in Mexico about 12 years ago and I got the montezuma's on the last night of our trip. It's the worst, most miserable feeling. I think everyone's been there at least once, right, so no details required.

So Saturday morning, Scott's wrangling the little ones since our boating plans were scrapped in favor of a pool day (my fault), and I'm laying in bed, shaking uncontrollably, feeling like death warmed over, looking out the windows at this perfect beautiful sunny day while Ghost (yep, the one with Patrick Swayze and Demi and Whoopie) and a Supernanny marathon are playing on TV. That sucks.

So Natalie and Alek came up to go boating/pooling and Alek talks me into doing a saline IV. He is a paramedic but seriously? This is how it goes down:

Alek: "You look terrible."
Me: "I feel terrible. Better but still terrible. I haven't puked in like an hour."
Alek: "You should try a saline IV. You're probably really dehydrated. It will make you feel better soon."
Me: "Ok."
Alek: breaks into a happy dance like this is the first time anyone was actually miserable enough to let him hook them up on an IV.
Me: too wrecked to be more than mildly nervous about the happy dance and subsequent giggles of pure joy while he's poking me with a needle and hanging an IV bag from the bedpost with a phone cord.
Alek: hee-hee-hee
Me: (an hour later) "You're right. I actually feel better!" And then I got up and went to the pool. I still felt a little trashed till about mid-day on Sunday but at least I was functional! Definite improvement over death-warmed-over!
Me: Alek is a miracle worker! His stock just went up another notch.

No comments:

Post a Comment