Tuesday, November 30, 2010

run, SL,UT, run!

The original Run SL,UT Run team

Oh don't be offended! That's the name of our Napa-to-Sonoma half marathon team (get it? Run, Salt Lake, Utah abbreviated, Run) and I just signed up for year 2 tonight. We thought about naming the team "Sister Wives" or "Big Love" because the team consisted of 6 girls and Brad, but we still have some hope that other of our guys will join us on a run someday.

Today I also signed up for the Salt Lake half, reserved my spot as Runner #1 on the Wasatch Back Ragnar team (I hope), and started training for Surf City. I guess that's my Christmas gift to myself. Although I hear Santa may be bringing me some boots too. Yay, Santa! Yay, boots!


I'm not gonna lie. That first 4 miles on the treadmill was tougher than I thought. Probably because it was night, after a long day, and I didn't fuel up appropriately (sounds very impressive, but I think I was just being a wuss, really).

The Napa half is amazing. You run through
about a dozen gorgeous vineyards,
go up "butt burner" hill, and they serve free wine
at the end. Does it get any better than that?!
I was supposed to do this training run yesterday morning but...well, here's how the conversation in my head went (bear in mind, the gym is about 1 mile from my house and I have 4-wheel drive):
"Alarm's going off. Get up."
Morning news: The roads are icy and it's snowing. Hundreds of accidents everywhere.
"Oooo...that sounds dangerous. And cold. It's really dark out. Maybe you should wait a bit." [snooze button]
Morning news: The roads are icy and it's snowing. Hundreds of accidents everywhere.
"Still sounds bad. You could always go tonight." [snooze button]
Morning news: The roads are icy and it's snowing. Hundreds of accidents everywhere. (You know, because the morning news repeats the same story, over and over and over all morning long.)
"Who is crazy enough to go out voluntarily in this ice storm?! Not you." [snooze button]
Morning news: The storm seems to be breaking up and the roads are getting back to normal.
"Wow. Too late to go now and still make it to work. Just go tonight."

Which I didn't do. Finally made it to the treadmill at 5:30 Tuesday night. 48 hours later. Wooops. I'm not sure who that bitch is in my head who's constantly talking me out of doing the right thing, but I'm pretty sure she's the same one who, after she convinces me that the snooze button or the mall are more "necessary" than working out, promptly tells me that I'm fat, lazy and old looking. I really think she's gotta go. I need a Jillian Michaels in my head, telling me that not only can I do it, but I HAVE to do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment