Friday, March 15, 2013

something fishy

In an attempt to be healthy, drop some poundage, and get in summer shape, we've been cooking more fish lately. It's just barely getting warm enough to grill outside, so we cook indoors. Well, the reality check here is that Scott is also petrified of grilling fish. It sticks, it burns, it cooks fast, it falls apart. Let's face it. Fish is tricky.

And it smells.

We cooked cod last night, "fresh" from the meat counter. I get it. We live in Utah. No fish, other than trout or catfish, is probably truly "fresh." But you make do. The fish I got was not cheap. Purportedly not frozen. I smelled it, rinsed it, rinsed it again, smelled it again, and then I cooked it. In a pan. In. Side. My. House. Damn fool!

IT SMELLS!!!

It tasted great. But...The stench has lingered all night. After dishes were done. After garbage was out. After Lysol was sprayed and candles burned. After windows were opened and fans were set to high. It has kept me up all night. I will smell like fish tomorrow, I am sure of it. We may smell like fish forever.

So I finally turned to Google to help find some miracle cure for my stinky fish house. Tah-dah! Thanks, Chowhound.

I currently have a saucepan of cloves, oranges, lemon juice and cinnamon on the stove. And there's a bowl of white vinegar on the counter. If that doesn't work, I'm making cookies tomorrow, buying Oust, and getting a clothespin for my nose.

No comments:

Post a Comment