Monday, September 24, 2012

ouch...that's a good app

I've been getting back into the workout routine. Let's face it. I can't just run all the time. (A) I don't love running in an addiction kind of way. I mostly run so I can drink wine and eat Cheetos occasionally, and because I love the medals and my run buddies. (B) My knees and ankles certainly don't love running. They remind me all the time with little sharp pains and dull aches. You'd think that would remind me to stretch more but I still don't. (C) I need variety! It's the spice of life, as they say. I don't really know anyone who says that. But I get bored of doing the same thing all the time. 

My sister showed me this Nike Training Club app for my iPhone so I figured I'd give it a shot. I was running a little late to get the kids so I picked the 15 minute "Get Focused" workout and opted to do the "Leaner Legs" workout. How hard could that be? I just ran 9 miles the week before and it barely phased me. I am obviously in great leg shape, no matter what they look like. The workout had 5 different exercises, a combination of squats and lunges. One exercise for one lousy minute each, three rounds. No equipment other than a couple of weights or a medicine ball, so you can do it easily at home. The app shows you step-by-step images of the moves, and has a video of each move so you can see exactly how to do it. And you can sync it to your playlist. Plus there's a lovely little audio "coach" who motivates you and counts down the time from move to move. I was thinking this would be a breeze.

I'm embarrassed to say this but...I was out of breath. Full on winded after about the third move. I even skipped a few reps by the third rotation, just to catch my breath. This is FIFTEEN minutes of exercise, people! I run half marathons. Sure, I don't do them fast or train enough but still. Shame. Spiral.  

Wait...it gets worse. The next day I was sore. Really sore. The kind of sore where every time you stand up it takes a half-dozen steps to loosen up. Stairs? Ridiculous. And sitting down? Old. Man. Noise.  That lasted for three full days. I am not joking.

So, a few things I learned. One, I need to cross-train. A lot. Two, running a lot does not necessarily deliver strong legs. Three, the Nike Training Club app kicks ass! Literally.

No comments:

Post a Comment