Friday, October 28, 2011

flashback: reasons i hate halloween

Halloween has never been my favorite holiday.  I don't always dig getting dressed up, probably because I can't ever come up with a good costume idea. And I don't really like the whole spooky death, get scared, creepy vibe. And a pillow case chuck full of candy is just too much for me. So it's a general so-so on Halloween. But this year was just so, much, worse. Here's how it's going down by costume #:

ONE and TWO:  I ordered two overpriced kid costumes - a monster and a dinosaur,  one was too big, one was too small
Sloane as a little monster?
Obviously she didn't buy it!
THREE and FOUR: Back-up plan was running to the store last-minute and they are out of EVERYTHING, a couple of princess outfits and the dumb stuff left and of course not even those are the right sizes

FIVE & SIX: And we're back to online shopping but now we are shipping new costumes overnight which = the ungodly cost of the costume PLUS 40 bucks in expedited shipping PLUS a hope and a prayer that they get here in time while mentally working on back-up costumes in case they don't arrive. Can you really put a baby in a sheet and call him a ghost? 
Me and Christi...that is a real safety pin in her nose.
SEVEN: Had to make a work costume (roller derby) 
Natalie, Lindsay & me with our 80s gear and our medal. Lindsay rocked the thong unitard, on a 3 mile walk back to the car, through Provo. Very cool.
EIGHT: Had to make a half-marathon costume (running the Halloween Half as 80s workout chicks)
Zombie eyes...excellent! And I forgot costume #11
donated by Christi, the little black ki
NINE: Had to make a party costume for me (lost-sock fairy...I don't know, I had a dress, bought a wig and actually sewed and it was still kind of dumb) and, finally,
TEN: Helped Scott find and order his Evel Keneval costume while also custom decorating the helmet. With tape. 

That's TEN F-ING COSTUMES in ONE year, for a family of four where two don't really like Halloween and the other two don't really get it. Where the hell is the candy, hmmm?


Funny thing? Tagg decided they should be Monsters because that was his current favorite movie but when we put his monster costume (after a bit of cajoling, mind you) it was way, way too small. So, not so funny. Now he wants to be Nemo - no, mommy, I no cowboy, I no puppy, I no (insert whatever noun, character, etc. you like here). I NEMO! So now we have a Nemo costume and a 6-mo old Squirt (the little turtle) costume are on their way, hopefully arriving before Halloween. 
Luckily (I think) Tagg now loves candy and cookies, especially this gift box from Nana and Papa so he'll really dig the whole trick or treating concept this year. He'll also be on a sugar high for the next month but I guess that's okay.

This was our ivy patch making the summer to fall transition...on Sunday. Pretty, yeah?

On Wednesday morning, we woke up to this...all white. What the...!?!?! Tagg stood at the window and said, "Mommy, it not Christmas. It not." No joke, son, no joke.


Okay, I really might like Halloween. Just a little bit...

1 comment:

  1. Happy Adoption Awareness Month! As a fellow adoption advocate we thought you would enjoy taking part in Open Portrait, a blog that is painting a portrait of open adoption through photos, videos, and quotes. We would love you to participate and help spread the word! http://www.openportrait.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete