Wednesday, November 24, 2010

so, what's with the name?


Over the years, I've worked with this amazing and hysterical guy name John Yoon who tosses off these one-liners that make you laugh till you want to pee. We call them Yoonisms, and we used to write them on the white board in the office thinking we’d make a calendar or a book out of them someday. One of my favorites was “you are the throwaway pancake.”
Well, my real favorite was “You’re not too sweaty for a fat guy” but that doesn’t really make a good blog title and it really didn’t have much to do with me except that sometimes I probably give compliments like that.

Anyway, John used to joke that he’d say that to his first-born son. Like, kid, sorry but I’m practicing on you so sorry if you turn out bad. Of course, we quickly figured out that we’re all firstborn kids so we’re all kind of throwaway pancakes. And that’s sort of how I feel most of the time. A little raw, a little overdone and a little rough around the edge. Still tasty and delicious, mind you (especially with some real syrup, Mrs. Butterworths’ none of that sugar-free chemical crap), and always wishing I was all that and perfect. Get it? Throwaway Pancake just seemed to fit.
I bought John the lunch special – L7 and L13 – at Simply Thai, one of our favorite lunch haunts so I wouldn’t feel so guilty about thieving his line for my clever title. Eight bucks well spent, I say.

No comments:

Post a Comment